Weekly Photo Challenge: Curves

You young people think you have it tough today – when I was young we had to draw with our hands? I haven’t used these things in ages.

more curves

curves

French Curves

French Curves on a window sill.

curves

curves

curves

curves

Advertisements
18 comments
  1. Miles said:

Love the curves…and love text that goes with it. 🙂

• fojap said:

Thanks. It occurred to me that perhaps I should add for younger people that these funny plastic things were used to trace curves while making mechanical drawings. I’m not sure anyone under thirty has seen them.

2. vastlycurious.com said:

I still have mine 🙂

• fojap said:

I got rid of the drafting table itself because it took up too much space. I kept the parallel rule which I have stored in a box in a corner and even an old sun angle calculator. Never did have a slide rule. I’m not that old, but I remember my father’s. Hmm… maybe I should pick one up so when the end of civilization comes we’ll be ready to rebuild. 😉

• vastlycurious.com said:

It’s funny I was talking to a man today at an Estate sale about my dad’s slide rules.I still have them. I gave my son my special poplar drawing board with 6 poplar drawers on each side. Sometimes I wish I’d kept it but he uses it more. This is my son’s work. With you I will share. http://eashleigh.com

• fojap said:

Your son has some really impressive work there. It’s only tangentially related, but my father was a graphic arts teacher. I was making silk screen t-shirts for my classmates from a young age and was the designated poster maker for all the school events.

Do you want to hear about when I lived in Philly?

• vastlycurious.com said:

I made silk screen T’s and hand painted T’s and wrap around shirts. Yes do tell and you can email personally if you’d like?
        Kathryn

3. vastlycurious.com said:

The last one is just great!

4. Still have mine – in plastic and steel! 🙂 I like working on the computer, but hands on you can’t beat.

5. sued51 said:

Great one! I wonder what happened to the one I had…?

6. oh, now I remember some school lessons in geometry and algebra …

7. When I saw the opening photo and sentence, at first I thought you were going to show a spirograph! (I think I have dated myself . . . )

• fojap said:

Well, then you’ve dated me as well because I know exactly what you’re talking about.

8. Life&Ink said:

Oh my gosh, I remember those! And your images are just beautiful! Great post!

9. Oh my, I remember those so well. They were SO much fun to play with 🙂 Excellent choice!

10. True to the word, In future the ones who havent born yet would query about pen & pencils (iTechnology is taking over)

• fojap said:

I once saw a Tom Tomorrow cartoon in which two secretaries were puzzling over a pen. One says, “It’s a manual wordprocessor.”