Weekly Photo Challenge: Curves

You young people think you have it tough today – when I was young we had to draw with our hands? I haven’t used these things in ages.

more curves

curves

French Curves

French Curves on a window sill.

curves

curves

curves

curves

Advertisements
18 comments
  1. Miles said:

Love the curves…and love text that goes with it. 🙂

• fojap said:

Thanks. It occurred to me that perhaps I should add for younger people that these funny plastic things were used to trace curves while making mechanical drawings. I’m not sure anyone under thirty has seen them.

• fojap said:

I got rid of the drafting table itself because it took up too much space. I kept the parallel rule which I have stored in a box in a corner and even an old sun angle calculator. Never did have a slide rule. I’m not that old, but I remember my father’s. Hmm… maybe I should pick one up so when the end of civilization comes we’ll be ready to rebuild. 😉

• It’s funny I was talking to a man today at an Estate sale about my dad’s slide rules.I still have them. I gave my son my special poplar drawing board with 6 poplar drawers on each side. Sometimes I wish I’d kept it but he uses it more. This is my son’s work. With you I will share. http://eashleigh.com

• fojap said:

Your son has some really impressive work there. It’s only tangentially related, but my father was a graphic arts teacher. I was making silk screen t-shirts for my classmates from a young age and was the designated poster maker for all the school events.

Do you want to hear about when I lived in Philly?

• I made silk screen T’s and hand painted T’s and wrap around shirts. Yes do tell and you can email personally if you’d like?
        Kathryn

2. Still have mine – in plastic and steel! 🙂 I like working on the computer, but hands on you can’t beat.

3. sued51 said:

Great one! I wonder what happened to the one I had…?

4. oh, now I remember some school lessons in geometry and algebra …

5. When I saw the opening photo and sentence, at first I thought you were going to show a spirograph! (I think I have dated myself . . . )

• fojap said:

Well, then you’ve dated me as well because I know exactly what you’re talking about.

6. Life&Ink said:

Oh my gosh, I remember those! And your images are just beautiful! Great post!

7. Oh my, I remember those so well. They were SO much fun to play with 🙂 Excellent choice!

8. True to the word, In future the ones who havent born yet would query about pen & pencils (iTechnology is taking over)

• fojap said:

I once saw a Tom Tomorrow cartoon in which two secretaries were puzzling over a pen. One says, “It’s a manual wordprocessor.”